As far back as history has been written, women attended other women in birth reflecting that the true species specific norm would include the prescence of a Wise Woman, Doula or Midwife. I am going to change the research words around a little to reflect that true norm:
Numerous clinical studies have found that the abscence of a birth doula:
* results in longer labors with more complications
* decrease positive feelings about your childbirth experience
* increases the need for pitocin (a labor-inducing drug)
* increases the likelihood of forceps or vacuum extraction
* increases the use of unnecessary pain medication, epidurals, and cesarean surgery
Do you think you want a Doula?
"When people get in the habit of living in a way that is quite alienated from nature, birth also can be more perilous for mothers and babies than it needs to be."
---Ina May GaskinBirth Matters
Women really love their doulas!
What's not so special about an Epidural?
"Epidurals inhibit beta-endorphin and oxytocin release, and this means that they interfere with the mother's ability to move into the ecstatic state of consciousness that is a part of normal labor- the "mommy brain", as some have called it. These hormones, which peak at birth in both mother and baby, also help the mother and baby to fall in love with each other in the first moments after birth."
---Ina May Gaskin
Birth MattersIna May Gaskin & Mary Lou